Thursday 10 October 2013

London, summer 2013

 “Why, Sir, you find no man, at all intellectual, who is willing to leave London. No, Sir, when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."

I write about my trips, but never about London: but this city is where I spend most of my time – and I’m with Samuel Johnson.  Ian and I have sometimes flirted with the idea of moving out of London, as some of our friends have done; but a look at our kitchen calendar tells you why that’s not on the cards.  “Ah! The space, the country walks, the fresh air…” “Yes, and there are cultural things you can do in the country…” “Yes, it would be lovely – but we’d want to visit London now and again…” “… we could stay for a week now and again…” “well, maybe stay a few months every year and…” “…or keep a flat there…”   “Why was it we wanted to move to the country again?”

Late afternoon sun in central London

This summer particularly has been one to remember.  The weather (after a dreadful spring) has been superb throughout and right through into early October.  And as a man of leisure now I have really made the most of our metropolis.  I got some weekly season tickets for the Proms and was a regular prommer for the first time in my life.  I have become a volunteer at our new local theatre and seen many productions there, and am getting to know local people.  I’ve been on many long urban walks: along the river (Canary Wharf to Westminster, Barnes Bridge to central London); through the central London parks; or from our house up Highgate Hill, across the Heath and all the way to Golders Green.  And a huge number of concerts and theatre, partly thanks to a free ticket scheme my brother introduced us to.  My best concert was Nigel Kennedy’s radical reinterpretation of the Four Seasons, with the youthful Palestinian String Orchestra, in a late night prom, incorporating elements of jazz and Arabic classical music.  Other highlights were Daytona, with Maureen Lipman, and two Ibsen plays: Ghosts and Hedda Gabler (with Sheridan Smith), both deconstructions of conservative morality written in the 1880s but still relevant today.  It’s also been a great year for outdoor performances.  I’m a big fan of the Globe Theatre and the Regents Park open air theatre. 


London’s streets really become alive in the summer, with pop-up outdoor restaurants, and crowds outside every pub, and special events in the parks and along the South Bank. Now that I'm not working (and avoiding rush hour transport) I actually enjoy the bustle, the crwods - even the tourists - though the 'living statues' are getting a bit much!).  Then there have been visits to events such as the Hampton Court flower show and the world athletics championships at the Olympic park.  A time to explore many other of London's open spaces too, including the Chelsea Physic Garden and Kew. 

So it’s been fun, and far from tired of life, this summer in London has reinvigorated me and made me hungry for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment